Sneezing may be annoying, but it is actually a protective mechanism that helps expel allergens and irritants out of your body. Allergies, animal dander, smoke, mold, dust, wood dust, pollen and other such irritants are the most common causes of sneezing. Cold weather, changes in humidity and temperature, rain water, strong smells, food allergies, certain drugs and other such factors also can cause sneezing.
Sneezing is often accompanied by issues like lack of concentration, fatigue, runny nose, nasal irritation, and red eyes. Sneezing is not usually a serious problem but if it occurs persistently, it can be frustrating. There are many simple and easy home remedies for relief from sneezing.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for sneezing.
1. Peppermint Oil
If your sneezing is due to a stuffy nose, peppermint oil’s antibacterial properties can help.
- Boil some water and add five drops of peppermint oil.
- Cover you head with a towel and breathe in the steam coming from the boiling pot. Inhaling the steam will clear your nasal passages.
You can also inhale steam from boiling water mixed with a few drops of eucalyptus oil to get relief from sneezing induced by nasal irritation and colds.
2. Fennel Tea
Fennel has natural antibiotic and anti-viral properties that can fight off any upper respiratory infection, including sneezing.
- Boil a cup of water, add two teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds and cover the pot. Soak the seeds for 10 to 15 minutes and then strain the liquid.
- Drink two cups of this tea daily to reduce the frequency of sneezing.
When preparing fennel tea, never boil the water after adding the seeds to it. This will destroy the natural oils in the fennel.
3. Black Pepper
Something as simple as pepper can be the solution to sneezing and a runny nose.
- Mix one-half tablespoon of pepper powder with lukewarm water. Drink it two to three times a day.
- Gargling with warm water mixed with pepper also helps get rid of cold viruses and germs.
- You can also eat soups and salads mixed with black pepper.
4. Chamomile Tea
A hot cup of chamomile tea is considered as one of the best home remedies for sneezing caused by allergies. It has excellent antihistamine properties that can provide instant relief.
- Add one teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers to one cup of boiling water, continue boiling the tea for a few minutes. Add some honey to improve the flavor.
- Drink the tea two times each day to stop your sneezing.
You can also use Echinacea and nettle tea and drink it two times daily.
Ginger is one of the oldest and effective home remedies for the treatment of different viral and nasal problems including sneezing.
- Consume 1 to 2 teaspoons of ginger extract twice a day until the sneezing stops.
- Another option is to cut a small piece of ginger root into thin slices, put them in a cup of water and boil it for some time. Add a little honey for taste and drink the tea before going to bed. This will prevent sneezing at night.
Garlic can easily fight off an upper respiratory infection due to its natural antibiotic and antiviral properties. It can be used internally or externally to get relief from excessive sneezing caused by a common cold infection.
- Crush four to five garlic cloves to make a fine paste and then inhale its strong fragrance. This will help clear the nasal passages that cause sneezing and help you to breathe with ease.
- It’s also helpful to include garlic in your diet. You can add it to your soups, salads and many other dishes.
7. Vitamin C
Vitamin C can help lower the production of histamine in your body and hence control sneezing. When suffering from a common cold, drink a glass of lemonade or orange juice to get a good dose of vitamin C. Your diet should also include vegetables that contain bioflavonoid, which works in the same way as vitamin C. Its antioxidant properties similarly control histamine production and thereby reduces sneezing.
8. Oil of Oregano
Oil of oregano has antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic and anti-inflammatory properties vital in fighting sinusitis. The natural oil extracted from wild oregano plants also has two key ingredients that are essential in strengthening the immune system: carvacrol and thymol.
- Mix two to three drops of oil with juice.
- Drink it daily until your sneezing and sinus congestion subside.
9. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds also provide relief from sneezing due to its antiviral properties. Fenugreek has a soothing effect on the mucous membranes relieving irritation and it helps to treat sneezing.
- Boil water with 2 to 3 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds. Wait until the content reduces by half.
- Drain the mixture, and drink it in small sips.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a day until your symptoms are gone.
10. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd has medicinal properties and is used in treating sneezing to a great extent.
- Soak about 5 to 6 bitter gourd leaves in water for some time.
- Remove the gourds from the water, squeeze them and add a little bit of warm water to make juice. You can add some honey to the mixture if you like.
- Drinking this on a regular basis will help get rid of sneezing induced by colds and seasonal allergies.
Along with all these home remedies, it’s a good idea to take some measures to prevent exposure to environmental irritants, such as dust and allergens in your home that can aggravate a sneezing problem.