According to experts, detoxification is a ‘spring cleaning’ process that arouses the body from its state of depression and encourages a more active and energetic lifestyle.
Your stomach, liver, bowel and kidneys all work hard on a daily basis to keep your body free of toxins. Several detoxifying drinks and procedures can be of great help in improving their regular detoxifying function.
Detoxifying smoothies, in particular, are the best way to detox and cleanse your body. They are easy to make, delicious, versatile and a nutritional punch for your body! Plus, they help you shed extra pounds!
Detoxification and weight loss go hand in hand. When detoxifying, you are likely to lose some weight as it encourages the removal of toxins from the body. Plus, it facilitates better absorption of nutrients from the food you eat.
You can try a delicious green smoothie that will aid detoxification and also boost your metabolism to help burn fat. Packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals, a green smoothie is just the right choice for your body!
It is not rocket science. Difficult to mess up, green smoothies are ridiculously simple to make and just an ideal man’s drink.
The recipe includes nutritious ingredients that benefit in detoxifying the body and losing weight fast.
Pineapple: A powerhouse of vitamin C and antioxidants, pineapple is an effective detoxifying agent and also acts as a natural sweetener for your smoothie.
Green apple: The presence of phlorizidin, pectin and polyphenols in this fruit makes it an excellent detoxifying agent and fat burner for the body.
Spinach: Packed with antioxidants and fiber, spinach has an alkalizing effect on the body, making it excellent for the calorie-burning process. It is also high in plant chlorophylls, which help suck up environmental toxins from the blood.
Green tea: An excellent antioxidant, green tea is one of the top beverages that help burn fat from the body. Its epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) content is a boon for both detoxification and weight-loss purposes.
Cucumber: A natural diuretic and a storehouse of minerals and vitamins, cucumbers help keep cravings at bay and are excellent for detoxifying the body.
Lemon: Extremely alkaline and high in vitamin C, lemons are a powerful detoxifying agent. They activate the liver to destroy free radicals and toxins in the blood and eliminate bacteria from the body. In addition, lemons contain polyphenols that work to manage fat cells in the body.
Mint: An excellent source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium and calcium, mint aids digestion and relieves the respiratory tract of any congestion. Furthermore, mint improves the flow of bile that is required for digestion of fats in the body.
Ginger: Ginger contains a compound called gingerol, which activates the functioning of the intestines, thus helping in digestion and boosting fat elimination from the body. It also helps improve blood circulation.
Coconut water: Owing to its alkalizing property, it serves as a great cleansing agent for the body. When taking in moderation, it also helps you lose weight and is good for hydrating your body.
Honey: A natural sweetener and energizer, honey is also helpful in cleansing the system of toxins.
How to Make a Homemade Detoxifying Green Smoothie
Things you’ll need:
- Pineapple– 1 cup
- Spinach– 1 large handful (1 cup)
- Green apple– 1
- Brewed and chilled green tea– 1 cup
- Ginger– 1 or 2 fresh pieces
- Coconut water– 1 cup
- Lemon juice– 1 tablespoon
- Honey– 2 teaspoons
- Cucumber– ½
- Fresh mint leaves– 6 to 8
1. Place 1 cup of spinach leaves in a blender.
2. Add 1 or 2 ginger pieces to it.
3. Add 1 cup of brewed and chilled green tea.
4. Add 1 cup of coconut water.
5. Blend together until smooth.
6. Add 1 cup of pineapple chunks.
7. Add 1 chopped green apple.
8. Add ½ cucumber, cut into pieces. If using an organic cucumber, you need not peel its skin as it contains antioxidants.
9. Blend until smooth.
10. Add 2 teaspoons of honey.
11. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon (about 1 tablespoon).
12. Add 6 to 8 fresh mint leaves.
13. Blend again.
14. Pour into a glass.
Enjoy 1 glass of this freshly made smoothie daily. You can store the remaining in the refrigerator and drink it within a couple of days.
- You can also include other fruits and vegetables in this smoothie to improve its taste as well as health benefits.
- Smoothies must be thick in consistency to make you feel full and keep your hunger at bay. Dense fruits like mangos, bananas, papayas and avocados will help thicken a smoothie, while watermelon is a water-based fruit that will do the opposite.
- The best green smoothie for weight loss is one that is at least 70 percent green vegetables and 30 percent fruit. This will ensure that your drink is full of nutrients and not sugar heavy.
- To brew green tea for this smoothie, steep 1 green tea bag in 1 cup of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes and then chill it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.