Think about bananas, coconut milk, and honey, and the first thing which will probably come to your mind is a tropical smoothie! But did you know that this combination can actually be used to make an effective deep hair conditioner? This easy-to-follow nourishing conditioner recipe will leave your hair softer, smoother, and shinier!
Bananas are rich in potassium that strengthens the hair and minimizes breakage by restoring your hair’s natural elasticity. It also facilitates repair of damaged hair. Banana also helps moisturize your locks as it contains natural oils and about 75% water.() Strong, moisturized hair is less prone to frizzing and tangling.
In addition, the fruit is packed with several beneficial nutrients including vitamins A, B6, C, and E as well as zinc and iron. With bananas as a base, this homemade deep hair conditioner also includes:
- Coconut milk – Coconut milk is loaded with antioxidants and fats. It will help condition your hair and strengthen them with proteins and oils. It can also help boost the hair volume.
- Coconut oil – This ingredient contains vitamin E and healthy fatty acids that help moisturize your hair, encourage growth, add shine, and reduce keratin loss. The lauric acid in coconut oil gives this ingredient its antibacterial and antifungal properties that help prevent dandruff.()
- Honey – Honey is a natural humectant. It helps hydrate your hair and lock in the moisture. This ingredient is rich in iron, zinc, sulfur, and B vitamins that promote healthy hair growth. Moreover, weekly application of crude honey may significantly improve seborrheic dermatitis and associated hair loss as well as prevent relapse.()
How to Make DIY Banana Hair Conditioner
Things you will need:
- Banana – 1 piece
- Coconut milk – 2 tablespoons
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon (2 tablespoons if you have dry or frizzy hair)
- Honey – 2 tablespoons A blender
- A bowl
- A tablespoon
1. Cut the banana into pieces and place them in a bowl.
2. Add two tablespoons of coconut milk.
3. Add one tablespoon of coconut oil. You may add another tablespoon of oil if you have dry, frizzy hair.
4. Mix in two tablespoons of honey.
5. Transfer the contents into a blender and blend for 45 to 60 seconds till you get a smooth mixture without any chunks.
6. Your DIY banana hair conditioner is now ready to use.
How to Use your DIY Banana Conditioner for Deep Conditioning
- Dampen your hair.
- Massage the mixture into your hair.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap.
- Let the conditioner sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off and shampoo your hair.
You may use this deep conditioner once a week.
- You can use overripe bananas to prepare this hair conditioner. Why let those brown, squishy bananas go to waste when you can put them to good use!
- Make sure the banana is pureed completely or bits of banana may get stuck in your hair and can be difficult to wash out.
- If you use solid coconut oil, add some warm water to the mixture while blending.
- If you find the smell of the mixture unpleasant, add a few drops of lavender oil, peppermint oil, or rosemary oil. Aside from masking the odor, these oils also facilitate hair growth! You may also use rose water.
- Kumar KPS, Bhowmik D. Traditional and Medicinal Uses of Banana. Pharmacognosy Journal. http://www.phytojournal.com/archives/?year=2012&vol=1&issue=3&part=A&ArticleId=22. Published September 1, 2012.
- Dias MFRG. Hair Cosmetics: An Overview – PubMed Central (PMC). International Journal of Trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/. Published 2015.
- Al-Waili NS. Therapeutic and prophylactic effects of crude honey on chronic seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. European Journal of Medical Research. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485891. Published July 30, 2001.