Suffering from cold and congestion but don’t want to rely on nasty chemical cures? You can make your own all-natural decongestant at home to help thin the mucus and unblock your nose and chest. It will help open up your nasal air passages so you can breathe more easily. It will also help open the sinuses and decrease sinus inflammation.
This homemade natural decongestant recipe is a spicy blend of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immune-boosting herbs with decongestant properties.
The apple cider vinegar in it helps thin out mucus and conquer the common cold. Lemon juice, loaded with vitamin C, boosts the immune system to fight the infection. Honey has soothing and healing properties. Plus, it acts as an effective cough suppressant.
The recipe also contains herbs and spices like cayenne pepper, ginger, turmeric and black pepper. Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin that gives the pepper its fiery taste. Capsaicin helps stimulate secretions that, in turn, help drain the sinuses. If you do not have cayenne pepper powder, you can use red chili powder as it also contains capsaicin.
Ginger is excellent for soothing a sore throat and other symptoms of cold and flu. It also helps warm the body, improve circulation and break down congestion. Turmeric contains compounds that help reduce inflammation and clear the airways. Black pepper also helps loosen phlegm and clear a stuffy nose.
How to make your homemade natural decongestant
Things you will need:
- Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Raw honey
- Fresh lemon Juice
- Cayenne pepper powder (if you do not have cayenne pepper, use red chili powder)
- Dried ginger powder
- Turmeric powder
- Black pepper powder
- A mixing bowl
- A whisk
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A glass container to store it in
1. Pour ¼ cup of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a bowl.
2. Add ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
4. Add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of dried ginger powder.
6. Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
7. Add a pinch of black pepper powder.
8. Whisk the ingredients until they are thoroughly mixed.
How to use
Take 1 to 2 tablespoons of this spicy syrup daily as needed. It may not be suitable for children, but you can give them at most 1 tablespoon a day. Do not give it to children under age 1.
Shake before each use. The powders are not likely to dissolve completely and tend to settle at the bottom.
- In addition to taking this natural decongestant, increase your fluid intake to help loosen congestion.
- Get plenty of rest. Your body repairs itself best when you are asleep.
- Gargle with warm salt water a few times a day to relieve a sore throat. To make this salt water, mix ¼ to ½ teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water.