Shaving is a part of both men and women’s beauty routines. To make shaving easy and smooth, there are countless commercial shaving creams in the market.
But these commercial products are full of chemicals and preservatives that can leave your skin irritated and dry.
This does not mean that you need to stop using shaving cream. A good alternative to the commercial products is homemade shaving cream. It will not only keep your beauty routine natural, but also save you money.
Plus, there is a certain amount of pleasure and pride in using things you made yourself!
The main ingredients in this shaving cream recipe are shea butter and extra-virgin coconut and olive oils.
These three ingredients are the ultimate moisturizers that alleviate dryness and soothe the skin, thus great for avoiding razor burns.
The essential oils used in this recipe give a nice fragrance to the cream.
This homemade beauty product is highly moisturizing, smells delicious and is completely chemical-free!
However, don’t expect a foamy shave with this homemade shaving cream as it does not lather. Just use a thin layer of this cream on your skin and shave against the direction of your hair growth.
How to make a simple and easy DIY shaving cream at home with all-natural ingredients
Things you’ll need:
- Shea butter– 1/3 cup
- Extra-virgin coconut oil – 1/3 cup
- Extra-virgin olive oil – ¼ cup
- Peppermint essential oil – 8 to 10 drops
- Lavender essential oil – 5 drops
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Wooden ice cream stick or toothpick to stir the mixture
1. Put 1/3 cup of extra-virgin coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Add 1/3 cup of shea butter to the bowl.
3. Put the bowl in a microwave and heat the contents for about 1 minute or until the oil and shea butter melt.
4. Remove the bowl from the microwave and add ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil.
5. Add 8 to 10 drops of peppermint essential oil and 5 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture.
6. Mix the ingredients thoroughly using an ice cream stick or toothpick.
7. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until the mixture solidifies. Then, let it sit in room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Whip it with an electric hand whisk or beater for 3 to 4 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy.
Your homemade shaving cream or lotion is ready. Store it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. The shelf life is 1 to 2 months but make sure there is no moisture in it.
How to use this homemade shaving cream
- Completely saturate your skin with warm water.
- Apply a thin layer of this shaving cream on your skin.
- Shave using a sharp razor, rinsing the blade at regular intervals as you shave.
- If you don’t have shea butter, cocoa butter is a good alternative.
- Before heating it in the microwave, you can break up the shea butter into smaller pieces to help it melt faster.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use jojoba oil or sweet almond oil.
- You may also add 2 teaspoons of baking soda in this recipe. It works as a mild exfoliant.
- To make a bit foamy, consider adding 2 tablespoons of liquid castile soap into your recipe.
- If you have highly sensitive skin, you can skip adding the essential oils in this recipe.
- If you have nut allergies or any lingering skin problems, consult your dermatologist before using shea butter in this recipe.
- Always do a patch test on the skin behind your ear before using this homemade shaving cream on your face or other body parts.
- This homemade shaving cream makes a great gift for your husband, boyfriend or any other person.