An even skin tone adds to your beauty and having dark knees and elbows can detract from it. This is a common issue that can make one self-conscious about wearing short-sleeve dresses and tops as well as skirts and shorts.
The skin around the elbows and knees is usually thicker and has more folds than its surrounding skin. Also, because there are no oil glands in these areas, this skin tends to be drier. So, when proper care and hygiene is not maintained, the skin on knees and elbows becomes much darker than other parts of your body.
Some other factors that contribute to dark elbows and knees are frequent rubbing, overexposure to the sun, genetic factors, dry skin, hormonal imbalance, obesity, dead skin buildup and increased melanin pigment.
Several natural remedies and simple skin care techniques can help solve this problem.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dark elbows and knees.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a good remedy to lighten dark knees and elbows. It has vitamin E that can help lighten the skin tone and prevent dryness by keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. It can even repair dark and damaged skin.
- After each shower or bath, apply coconut oil on your knees and elbows and massage gently for 1 to 2 minutes. Reapply several times a day to prevent dryness.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub this solution on your dark elbows and knees and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Wipe it off with paper towels. Do this once daily.
- You can also add enough coconut oil to 1 tablespoon of walnut powder to make a thick paste. Use it to exfoliate dark skin patches around your knees and elbows 2 or 3 times a week.
Lemon has natural bleaching as well as exfoliating properties. Also, it has a high amount of vitamin C that helps remove dead cells and lighten skin tone. It can also promote regeneration of healthy skin cells.
- Apply lemon juice on your elbows and knees and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and apply a moisturizing lotion.
- You can also extract the juice of 1 lemon and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it on the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash the mixture off with water.
Follow either of these remedies once daily for a couple of weeks. After applying lemon juice, avoid sun exposure for the next 3 hours.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps lighten skin color. It also cleanses and moisturizes the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of plain yogurt and white vinegar to get a smooth paste. Apply it on the affected areas and let it dry. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Do this daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour and 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on your darkened elbows or knees and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then, rub with wet fingers to remove the paste and rinse with water. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
To lighten the skin tone of your knees and elbows, you can also use a homemade sugar scrub. Sugar granules help exfoliate dead skin cells and soften the skin.
- Mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and elbows and rub it around using circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild soap and warm water.
- Do this once daily until the skin tone around your knees and elbows lightens.
- Repeat this treatment on a weekly basis.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda acts as a gentle cleanser, hence it is effective for treating dark knees and elbows. It can help remove dead skin cells and reduce hyper-pigmentation that forms around the knees and elbows.
- Prepare a paste with 1 tablespoon each of milk and baking soda.
- Apply it on the affected areas and rub it around in circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry the area thoroughly.
- Repeat every other day until you get the desired results.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural skin lightener that will also keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. It can help maintain even skin tone and promote the repair of skin cells damaged by sun exposure.
- Extract the gel by breaking open a fleshy aloe vera leaf.
- Apply it to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times daily for a few weeks.
Both almonds and almond oil are good for your skin. Almonds are rich in skin-nourishing properties that can help maintain an even skin tone and keep your skin healthy and glowing.
- Massage the affected areas with warm almond oil for about 5 minutes daily before going to bed. Within a few days, you should notice improvement.
- Alternatively, mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of coarsely powdered almonds with a little yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on the darkened elbows and knees. Allow it to dry, then with wet fingers rub in circular motions. Wash it off with cold water. Do this once or twice daily for a few weeks.
Mint contains several volatile oils that promote collagen in the body. It helps maintain an even skin tone and makes skin glow with health.
- Boil ½ cup of water with a handful of mint leaves for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the juice of ½ lemon to it, strain and allow the solution to cool.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and rub it on your knees and elbows.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Follow this treatment 1 or 2 times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Turmeric is also highly recommended for dark elbows and knees. It can help maintain an even tone and adds a nice glow to the skin.
- Mix a little turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon of milk cream. Apply it on your knees and elbows and massage for a few minutes. Allow it to dry, then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, combine equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour. Add enough rose water to it to make a paste. Massage this paste onto your elbows and knees. Leave it on until it is dry. Finally, scrub off the dried mask with lukewarm water.
Follow either of these remedies once daily. Within 1 to 2 weeks, you should notice improvement.
Cucumber has natural bleaching properties that help lighten dark elbows and knees. Also, cucumber will help keep the skin moisturized and aid in removing impurities from the outer skin layer.
- Gently rub thick slices of cucumber over your elbows and knees for 10 minutes. Leave it for another 5 minutes, then rinse it off with cold water. Follow this treatment daily.
- Alternatively, mix together equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Stir in a little turmeric powder. Apply it on the affected areas. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, then wash it off with water. Do this daily.
- Massage your knees and elbows with shea butter or cocoa butter every night before going to bed.
- Rub a thick potato slice over your knees and elbows for 5 minutes daily before taking a shower or bath.
- You can rub a small slice of ripe papaya onto the skin to enjoy soft and supple skin.
- Do not put pressure on your elbows and knees as it can make the skin dark as well as rough.
- Protect your knees and elbows from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays by wearing sunscreen throughout the year.
- Scrub your skin regularly with a scrubber or pumice stone.
- Avoid exfoliating your knees and elbows if you have an open wound as it may make it worse and increase the chances of infection.
- Apply moisturizer regulalrly on your skin to prevent dryness.
- Wear full-length and long-sleeved clothes when you are out and the temperature is high.
- Follow a healthy diet that includes vitamins and minerals for optimal skin nourishment.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday to enjoy soft and healthy skin.