Eczema is a chronic problem that causes inflammation of the skin. The exact cause of this condition is not known but it can be triggered by excessive stress, allergies, irritants, microbes, changes in weather, hormonal changes in the body and other factors.
Symptoms of eczema include redness, itching, dryness, rashes and dark, rough patches on skin. Often eczema leaves behind ugly scars, which take a lot of time to disappear.
In addition to your usual medicines or lotions, try some easy natural treatments for eczema scars. These treatments can give you relief from pain and itching associated with eczema and lighten or eliminate unsightly scars.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for eczema scars.
Honey is used to treat a variety of skin problems including eczema. The soothing, antiseptic and antibacterial properties in honey can reduce eczema and heal eczema scars to a great extent.
- Daily apply honey directly onto the affected skin area after washing it thoroughly.
- You can also make a scrub using honey and crystallized sugar. Scrub the affected area with it gently for a few minutes and then rinse it off. Do this a few times a week until the scar is completely gone.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains astringent, antifungal and antibacterial properties that can reduce eczema as well as eczema scars.
- Mix two teaspoons each of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and raw honey in a glass of water and drink it three times a day. It will boost the immune system, which will gradually reduce skin inflammation and scarring.
- You can also apply apple cider vinegar directly to the skin by mixing one part vinegar and one part water. This will help reduce itchiness and dryness.
3. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac or neem works as one of the best natural home remedies for eczema as it helps reduce redness, irritation, and inflammation.
- Mix one tablespoon each of crushed neem leaves and turmeric.
- Add a little sesame oil to the mixture.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Follow this remedy once daily.
Enjoying a regular oatmeal bath will help soothe the skin and relieve itching. Oatmeal also contains natural cleansing agents that reduce scars.
- Grind one to two cups of oatmeal in a blender or coffee grinder and add it to warm bath water.
- Soak your body in the oatmeal bath for 20 to 30 minutes. Pat your skin dry using a very soft towel.
- Do this up to three times a day depending on the severity of your condition.
5. Aloe Vera
Another popular home cure for eczema scars is aloe vera. The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties in aloe vera can reduce the irritation caused by eczema and gradually lighten the dark scars.
- Apply aloe vera gel directly to the affected areas. Do this a few times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Alternatively, you can combine equal parts of pure aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil to form a thin paste and apply it to the affected skin. Leave it on overnight and in the morning wash it off with warm water. Repeat daily.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used as an exfoliant to remove dead skins cells without causing itchiness. In fact, it helps reduce itching.
- Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with one tablespoon of water to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and after a few minutes, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil has powerful anti-inflammatory effects that can help relieve eczema symptoms. Plus, it can soften the skin, reduce redness and fade the scars.
- Gently massage the affected area with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Place a hot washcloth over the area, leaving it on until the cloth totally cools. Then wipe away the excess oil with lukewarm water.
- Do this once or twice a day.
If olive oil is not available then you can use coconut oil in the same way.
8. Lemon Juice
The acidic property of lemon juice acts as a natural antiseptic that can lighten old eczema scars. The vitamin C present in lemon juice also helps your body create new skin cells and brightens the skin tone.
- Apply fresh lemon juice onto the affected area twice daily and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can exfoliate the skin with a mixture of one part lemon juice and one part sugar. Use this remedy few times a week before going to bed.
9. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is often regarded as a restorative salve for skin that can lighten dark scars. Apply pure cocoa butter on the scars daily and over time you will see them get lighter and lighter. For best results, be sure to use pure cocoa butter and not just lotions containing cocoa butter.
Just like cocoa butter, shea butter can also be used to eliminate scars. Shea butter is rich in vitamins A and E as well as keratin, which help rejuvenate the skin and fade scars.
10. Fish Oil
Regular intake of fish oil can also help heal eczema scars. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil also heal the inflammatory symptoms associated with eczema.
- Take 1,200 milligrams of fish oil three times daily to get rid of scars left by eczema.
- You can also include fatty fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel in your diet.
It is important to remember that the scars will not vanish in a day or two. You’ll need to be patient and follow the remedies without fail for some time before you start noticing a difference.