The saying “Eyes are the window to the soul” is very popular. Many people easily relate to it as one’s eyes can speak a million words without a sound. This is one reason people want their eyes, the main feature of their face, to sparkle with life.
Clear and sparkling eyes denote happiness and good health, whereas eyes that are bloodshot or look tired and dull indicate illness and fatigue.
Dull, lifeless and bloodshot eyes can be due to many factors, including health problems, fatigue, lack of sleep, long working hours, spending too much time in front of a screen, nutritional deficiency, excessive drinking, dehydration, smoking and even a weak liver.
To get clear and sparkling eyes, you can adopt simple lifestyle changes and try some easy home treatments.
Here are the top 10 ways to get clear and sparkling eyes naturally.
1. Exercise the Eyes
You can use some simple exercises to relax and add spark to your eyes. They will help alleviate eye strain and improve blood circulation to the eyes.
- One easy eye exercise is to shut your eyes and squeeze them tightly. Then open them quickly, as wide as possible. Repeat until the eyes begin to water. This will help your eyes look and feel fresh and bright.
- Also, move a pen or pencil horizontally and vertically in front of your eyes, keeping your eyes focused on the tip of the pen. Do this exercise for 10 to 15 minutes daily.
- Another option is to rub the palms of your hands together until they become warm, then place them over your closed eyelids for a few minutes.
You can soothe dull and tired eyes with cucumber slices. The high water content in the cucumber will help brighten up your tired eyes. It can even help reduce dark circles under the eyes and under-eye puffiness.
- Cut a few thick slices off of a cucumber and put them in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put the chilled slices over your closed eyelids until they become warm.
- Then wash your eyes with water.
- Repeat the process as needed.
You can also do this remedy with chilled potato slices.
3. Rose Water
Rose water is another effective way to add spark to your tired eyes. Its soothing effect helps rejuvenate the skin around the eyes and prevent dark circles and puffiness.
- Dip 2 cotton balls in cold rose water.
- Lie down and place the wet cotton balls over your closed eyelids.
- Leave them on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash your eyes with regular water.
- Follow this treatment as needed.
4. Keep the Eyes Hydrated
One simple secret to get clear eyes is to keep your eyes hydrated for proper lubrication.
- Splash your eyes with room-temperature water a few times daily. This will help get rid of tired and dull eyes.
- To prevent dry eyes, avoid staring at your computer screen for too long. Blink often to prevent your eyes from drying out.
- Also, drink plenty of water and eat water-based fruits and vegetables.
5. Eye Massage
Gentle eye massage is another easy way to enjoy sparkling eyes. Massage improves blood circulation to the eyes, which in turn reduces eye strain and prevents fine lines.
- Put a few drops of olive or coconut oil on your fingers.
- Using your fingers, gently massage the inner corners, the center of your brows, the outer corners and just below the eyes.
- Do this eye massage at least once daily.
6. Tea Bags
Both green and black tea bags can help reduce eye strain and restore the natural glow and spark of your eyes. The anti-irritant and antioxidant properties in tea bags help reduce swelling around your eyes as well as redness.
- Steep 2 tea bags in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags, squeeze out the excess water and put them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place the chilled teabags over your closed eyes and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment as often as you like.
Milk is a great remedy to get rid of tired eyes and restore a sparkling appearance. It helps soothe and relax the muscles around your eyes. In addition, milk helps reduce eye irritation and puffiness.
- Soak 2 cotton balls in cold milk.
- Place the cotton balls on your closed eyelids for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wash your face and moisturize as usual.
- Do this as needed.
8. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
According to Ayurveda, amla is a good option to get sparkling eyes. Being rich in vitamins C and A, amla helps strengthen the eye muscles. It also helps alleviate problems like itching, redness and watering.
- Put 1 teaspoon of amla powder in a cup of filtered water and let it sit overnight. The next morning, strain the water through a muslin cloth and again add a cup of water. Splash your eyes with this solution. Do this once daily in the morning.
- You can also mix 2 teaspoons of amla juice in one-half cup of water and drink it every morning. If fresh amla is available, eat one daily.
9. Warm Compress
To reduce eye strain and soothe dry and dull eyes, you can also use warm compresses. The warm temperature will relax the muscles around your eyes and help restore their natural expression and sparkle.
- Dip a soft cloth in warm water and wring out the excess water.
- Put this warm cloth over your closed eyelids for 1 minute.
- Repeat the process 3 or 4 times.
- Follow this remedy as needed.
10. Enjoy Sound Sleep
Sleep is very essential, not only for your health but also for your eyes. When you enjoy sound sleep of 6 to 8 hours a night, you will wake up with bright and sparkling eyes.
Without proper sleep, your eyes will look droopy, dull and tired. In addition, lack of sleep can contribute to dark circles and puffiness under your eyes. To enjoy sound sleep:
- Try to go to bed on a set schedule, and wake up at the same time every morning.
- Sleep in a well-ventilated room with as little noise as possible.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal or drinking before going to bed.
- Avoid alcohol and salty foods as they contribute to fluid retention, causing your eyes to look puffy, tired and swollen.
- If you wear glasses or lenses, be sure to get your eyes checked by a specialist on a regular basis.
- Whenever possible, give your eyes a rest from lenses or glasses.
- Avoid allergens as they can cause the eyes to look bloodshot and puffy.
- Avoid going out in the sun, as people tend to squint their eyes in bright sunlight. This can make your eyes look tired. Wear sunglasses when going out in the sun.
- Avoid reading in inadequate lighting as it strains the eyes.
- Limit exposure to electronic media screens like the TV, iPad or computer whenever possible.
- Always remove your eye makeup before going to bed.
- Eat nutrients that nourish your eyes. Some foods that are good for your eyes are carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, bell peppers, salmon, squash, guava, oranges, limes and papaya.
- Regular physical exercise, a stress-free environment and healthy lifestyle habits help a lot to enjoy radiant and brilliant shine in the eyes.