Argan oil, also known as liquid gold, is produced from the nuts of the argan tree, found in a small region of Morocco. In the past, it was mainly used by the Berber women of Morocco, but now it is popular worldwide.
This liquid gold is most often used for its beauty benefits for skin and hair. Many beauty products have argan oil as one of the main ingredients.
Medicinally, regular intake of this oil helps prevent various cancers, cardiovascular disease and obesity. It can be enjoyed as a side dip or for making tasty, healthy salad dressings.
Its beauty benefits come from the vitamins A and E that this oil has in abundance. It is also packed with antioxidants, linoleic acid and various minerals that promote healthy hair and skin.
Instead of buying luxury hair and skin care products, get a bottle of argan oil and add it to your beauty routine. It is a bit expensive, but your beauty is definitely worth the investment.
Here are the top 10 amazing benefits of argan oil for skin and hair.
1. Nourishes Dry Skin
The best beauty benefit of argan oil is its ability to keep the skin moisturized and hydrated. The fatty acids in it easily penetrate deep into the skin to make up for any loss of moisture.
In addition, it is non-greasy and non-irritating, which makes it a great natural moisturizer for all skin types. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, argan oil is also beneficial for conditions like eczema and psoriasis that lead to dry, rough skin.
- After taking a bath or shower, simply rub a few drops of warm argan oil into your skin using gentle motions. You can also use it as a night moisturizer to make your skin soft and smooth.
- To make a hydrating mask, mix a few drops of argan oil with 3 teaspoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it on your face and leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water. Use this mask once a week.
2. Eases Oily Skin Discomforts
People who have oily skin often suffer from whiteheads, blackheads, blind pimples and other skin irritations, mainly due to accumulation of excess oil on the outer skin layer.
The chemical composition of argan oil is similar to that of the natural sebum on the skin. Thus, it tricks the skin into believing that it already has enough oil and helps slow the production of sebum. You can use argan oil to control the production of excess oil from the sebaceous glands.
A 2007 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology showed that a sebum control cream containing polyphenol-rich extract from saw palmetto, sesame seeds and argan oil helped reduce greasiness and improve the appearance of oily facial skin.
After washing and pat drying your face, rub a few drops of argan oil on your skin. Do this twice daily to reduce the oily sheen on your skin and shrink large pores.
3. Lightens Ugly Stretch Marks
You can lighten stretch marks with regular use of this liquid gold. The vitamin E in it protects the collagen fibers in your skin from free-radical damage. This helps improve skin elasticity and keeps the skin moisturized.
- Gently rub some drops of warm argan oil on your stretch marks.
- Massage for 5 to 10 minutes, wait 30 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this daily for a few months until the marks fade.
You can even rub this oil on your breasts, stomach, bottom and thighs during pregnancy to help prevent unsightly stretch marks.
4. Fights Acne and Its Scars
If you suffer from acne, argan oil can help get rid of it. Its antioxidant property helps heal damaged skin cells, while the high linoleic acid content reduces inflammation caused by acne.
In addition, its non-greasy texture keeps the skin moisturized in a balanced manner and also fades scars.
- Lightly dab some argan oil onto problem areas. Wait 30 minutes, then wipe off the oil with a tissue. Repeat twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of argan oil and tea tree oil. Apply it on the affected areas. Wait 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Use this treatment twice daily until the acne and its scars are gone completely.
5. Reduces Premature Aging Signs
The fatty acids in argan oil fight free radicals and improve skin elasticity, which in turn prevents premature aging signs like wrinkles, age spots, fine lines and saggy skin.
The antioxidants in it also help reverse aging signs and keep your skin looking young for years. It even protects the skin from oxidative damage from environmental pollution and ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun.
- To enjoy the anti-aging benefits of argan oil, simply massage a few drops into your face and neck for 5 minutes daily before going to bed.
- Also, include argan oil in your diet.
6. Promotes Hair Growth
Argan oil can also help stop hair loss and promote new hair growth. This liquid gold contains vitamin E and healthy fats that are essential for providing nourishment to the hair follicles. It even helps keep the scalp clean, removes dandruff and livens up dull hair.
- Before going to bed, dampen your hair and apply a few drops of warm argan oil.
- Massage your scalp using circular motions for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight and shampoo your hair the next morning.
- Use this treatment 2 or 3 times a week.
7. Moisturizes Dry and Chapped Lips
If you have dry and chapped lips, especially due to cold or dry weather, use argan oil to solve this common problem. Its moisturizing property will ensure your lips remain soft and supple.
In addition, its antioxidant properties protect the lips against damage and prevent soreness.
- Rub 1 or 2 drops of argan oil onto your dry lips and massage for 1 minute. Do this daily before going to bed. Be sure to wipe off any excess oil with a tissue.
- To make an exfoliating lip scrub, mix a few drops each of argan oil and vanilla extract in ½ teaspoon of fine brown sugar. Lightly massage this mixture across your lips using circular motions. Rinse it off with lukewarm water, then rub a drop of argan oil on your lips. Use this remedy only once a week.
8. Cuticle Moisturizer
Argan oil works as an excellent cuticle moisturizer. Plus, the vitamin E in it is very nourishing for weak and brittle nails. It even helps repair damaged nails and encourages nail growth. In addition, it prevents fungal nail infections.
- Rub some argan oil on your nails and massage gently for 5 minutes to increase circulation to the nail beds. Use this treatment as a cuticle moisturizer once daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, make a nail soak with equal amounts of fresh lemon juice and argan oil. Soak your nails in it for 20 minutes. Use this nail-strengthening treatment once or twice a week.
9. Works as a Natural Hair Conditioner
Argan oil can make your hair softer and silkier. The linoleic and oleic acids in it support the health of hair cuticles and make your hair more glossy and manageable.
In addition, argan oil protects your hair against damage from sun exposure and chlorine from swimming pools. It can even repair split ends and tame frizzy hair.
- Use warm argan oil to massage your scalp and hair for 5 to 10 minutes. Wear a shower cap for about 30 minutes, then wash your hair with shampoo. Follow this hair care routine 2 or 3 times a week.
- To use it as a leave-in conditioner, apply a few drops of argan oil to your hair, ends and scalp while it is still wet. Then, style your hair.
Note: Do not use daily on your hair as it may be difficult to rinse it out.
10. Treats Dry Feet and Cracked Heels
Argan oil is a good remedy for dry, cracking skin on your feet or heels. Its hydrating property works as a heel softener and nourishes them to look soft and supple. It even reduces the pain associated with cracked feet and prevents infections.
- Soak your feet in warm, soapy water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the dead skin cells from your feet and heels using a pumice stone.
- Wash your feet with warm water and dry them thoroughly.
- Rub a little argan oil on your heels and soles, and massage for a few minutes.
- Put on a pair of clean socks and wait at least 20 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- Repeat daily for a few days until your feet look healthy and the cracks are gone.
- There are two grades of argan oil – culinary and cosmetic. Choose the cosmetic one for skin and hair care.
- Always opt for good quality, fresh argan oil. A light, fresh and nutty odor indicates its good quality.
- Make sure to store argan oil in a dark bottle to protect it from any type of light.
- Do not use this oil if you have nut allergies.
- Always do a patch test by putting a little oil on the inside of your arm to rule out the possibility of being allergic to it.