When looking for folk remedies or natural health remedies, one ingredient that tops the list is apple cider vinegar.
Also known as cider vinegar or ACV, it is a type of vinegar made from cider or apple must (freshly pressed juice that contains the skins, seeds and stems of the fruit). It is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid that goes through a fermentation process.
Unpasteurized or organic apple cider vinegar contains mother of vinegar, which makes it look slightly congealed.
Apple cider vinegar is used in various foods and food preparations, such as salad dressings, marinades, pickles and food preservatives.
As a folk remedy, it is a very effective natural remedy for numerous health problems.
Some years ago, raw and organic apple cider vinegar was typically only found in health food stores. Now it is readily available in the market, due to its huge demand among health-conscious people.
Like many others, you probably have a bottle of it in your pantry right now.
Here are 10 unbelievable uses of apple cider vinegar. For best results, use raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
1. Eases Arthritis Pain
Discomfort and uneasiness due to arthritis symptoms, such as swollen fingers, joint inflammation, stiffness and pain, can be reduced with apple cider vinegar.
It has anti-inflammatory and alkaline-forming properties that help provide comfort by reducing pain and stiffness in the joints.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and raw honey into a glass of lukewarm water. Add a pinch of cinnamon. Drink it once or twice a day as needed.
- For external application, dilute apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of warm water. Dip a clean cloth in it and apply it to the painful joint. Secure it with an ace bandage and leave it for a few hours. Do it 2 or 3 times a day as needed.
2. Keeps Digestive System Healthy
Proper digestion goes a long way toward keeping your body healthy. To ensure a healthy digestive system, your secret weapon is apple cider vinegar.
Though acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect in your body, which is important for proper digestion.
This health tonic can also help deal with digestive problems like indigestion, gas, bloating, stomach aches and heartburn.
Plus, it contains pectin, which is a water-soluble fiber that helps regulate bowel movements.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water.
- Drink it 15 to 20 minutes before a meal.
3. Assists Weight Loss
Apple cider vinegar is also beneficial for those who are trying to lose some pounds. The acetic acid in it prevents the accumulation of body fat. Also, it may activate certain genes involved in breaking down fats.
Plus, this health tonic helps your body absorb nutrients from the food you eat, builds your immunity and increases your metabolism.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water.
- Drink it twice daily, once in the morning and again in the evening.
Though apple cider vinegar offers some benefits in terms of weight loss and weight management, you cannot ignore the importance of exercise and a healthy diet.
4. Relieves Headaches
Whether you have a migraine, sinus or tension headache, apple cider vinegar is the solution to the throbbing pain you are experiencing.
It helps balance the pH levels in the body and aids in detoxification. Also, it has anti-inflammatory benefits that help reduce pain.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Drink it to reduce the headache.
- For external application, soak a cloth in apple cider vinegar and wring out the excess liquid. Put the cloth on your head for 10 minutes to fight the headache.
5. Reduces Nasal Congestion
Apple cider vinegar also works as a natural decongestant to help clear nasal congestion. Plus, being rich in several nutrients, it helps boost your immunity to fight the infection.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into 1 glass of warm water. Also add 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Drink this 2 or 3 times daily for a few days.
- You can also try steam inhalation with apple cider vinegar. Boil equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water in a pan. Turn off the heat, then inhale the steam. Keep your eyes closed while taking the steam as it may sting. Do this as needed.
6. Works as a Facial Toner
Apple cider vinegar works as a great natural astringent and helps control the pH level of your skin. It is also good for treating acne. You can use in your homemade facial toner recipe.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and plain water or green tea.
- Transfer the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray this solution on your skin once or twice daily.
7. Keeps Hair Shiny and Healthy
Apple cider vinegar is also beneficial for your hair. It has clarifying properties that help remove hair styling and other product buildup on your hair and scalp. This is important for prevention and treatment of dandruff.
It also helps restore the natural pH level of the scalp.
- Mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar into 2 cups of water.
- After shampooing, pour this solution onto your hair.
- Massage it into your scalp for a couple of minutes.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before rinsing it out with cool water.
- Use this home treatment once a week.
8. Repels Fleas and Ticks
If you own a pet, especially a dog, one problem that you may have to deal with at some point is a flea or tick infestation. Fleas and ticks cause itching, pain, inflammation and other skin issues that can make your pet uncomfortable and restless.
For dog owners, apple cider vinegar is a miracle ingredient. This natural repellent is effective against both fleas and ticks. Its acidic taste is unappealing to the pests and helps prevent them from latching onto your pet.
- Put equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of lavender oil.
- Close the bottle and shake it thoroughly to mix the ingredients.
- Spray the solution on your pet’s body, avoiding the eyes, ears and nose.
- Run a comb through the wet fur.
- Repeat a few times a week as needed.
9. Helps Get Rid of Fruit Flies
Fruit flies are a big nuisance, as they damage your fruits and vegetables. Also, these small flies look very unhygienic.
To keep your edibles free of fruit flies, you can use apple cider vinegar to make a fruit fly trap. The flies are attracted to the pungent smell.
- Pour 1 cup of apple cider vinegar into a Mason jar.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dish soap and stir it well.
- Cover the jar with plastic wrap and make some holes in it with a toothpick.
- Put the jar where the fruit flies are present.
- Soon, the flies will be attracted into the jar and will drown in the liquid.
- Dump the contents, wash the jar and repeat the trick again if needed.
10. Removes Pesticides from Produce
If you want to be healthy and live longer, you need to stop eating fruits and vegetables loaded with pesticide residue. This simple step will greatly improve your health.
Instead of buying commercial sprays from the market, you can make a cleaning solution at home using apple cider vinegar.
- Fill a large bowl with water and add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Soak your fruits and vegetables in this solution for 10 minutes.
- Rinse them with water to wash away the vinegar solution.
- Dry them with paper towels before consuming or storing them in the refrigerator.